Website : carmelsteeldgp.com
Address : Guru Nanak Rd, Durgapur, West Bengal 713205
Phone : (0343) 2562333
E-Mail : email@example.com
Course of Study
Carmel School Durgapur prepares students right from Nursery for the Indian Certificate of Secondary Education (ICSE) and Indian School Certificate (ISC) examination conducted by the Council for the Indian School Certificate Examinations, New Delhi in collaboration with the Cambridge Syndicate. It is recognized by the Universities throughout India. The examination ensures a general education, without premature specialization as all candidates are required to appear in all the subjects. The medium of instruction is English, with Hindi / Bengali and Bengali / Hindi as 2nd and 3rd languages respectively.
Aims & Objectives
The basic purpose of Carmel School is to render loving service to God, the Church and the Country by educating the young girls of today’s India. The desire to experience and witness God’s all sufficing love, urges the Sisters of the Apostolic Carmel to respond to the needs of our country in ways, which will most effectively bear fruit, for the betterment of the society.
Carmel School Aims
• To lead our youth towards Truth and Light, through the medium of education, so that they realize that much of our country’s development depends upon them and their attitudes.
• The school prepares citizens and leaders for the country by inculcating in our youth a sense of responsibility.
• To bring Peace and happiness by making us conscious that in God’s all sufficing love there is no room for war and jealousy.
• To prepare our youth to show a greater appreciation of Indian culture, familiarity with Indian languages, knowledge of Indian thought and philosophy and make contribution to it.
• Carmel Blossoms
• Carmel SPICE Club
• School Competitions / Activities
• Any other competitions / activities
• Children’s Park
• Computer Lab
• School Auditorium
• School Play Ground
• Science labs Biology / Physics / Chemistry
• Smart Class
History of Carmel School
Carmel School, Durgapur is a Christian School established and administered by the Apostolic Carmel Educational Society of West Bengal, in the Roman Catholic Church. The School is under the religious jurisdiction of the Roman Catholic Bishop of Asansol. The arrival of the Apostolic Carmel in Durgapur in 1964 with a focus on education at MAMC was a beacon light to this industrial town. The School at MAMC had made a good beginning and seeing the selfless effort and hard work of the sisters, the Steel Township, the then Hindustan Steel Ltd approached the sisters to start a school in the township for their children. The offer was gladly accepted as it was an opportunity to further the vision of our Founder Mother Veronica – to transform the society through education and other works of mercy.
On 18th July 1966 the branch school at Steel Township saw the light of day at St Paul’s Road with 187 students in the Nursery, Kindergarten and class 1. However, it was shifted to Guru Nanak Road on 15th January 1976. Because of the tremendous progress made by the school during this period, the sisters had to concede to the public demand to begin the Higher Secondary section in 1992. The School is recognized by the Educational Department, Secondary Branch of the Government of West Bengal and has been affiliated to the Council for the Indian School Certificate Examinations, New Delhi. The School aims at the Education of the Catholic community around and extends the service to members of other communities to the extent possible. The school stands for academic excellence, development of skills and character formation, based on the love of God and service of people, as modelled on Jesus Christ, with a view of training citizens, remarkable for an all round development and sincere commitment to God and Country.
The ardent desire to be one with the Creator, urged Mother Veronica of the Passion to serve humanity with generosity, courage and determination which gave birth to the Apostolic Carmel in 1868.
Mother Veronica, nee Sophie Leeves was born in 1823 in a pious cultured family to Anglican parents in Constantinople. She was gifted with singular gifts of mind and heart, was nurtured by sound education and wide experience. Though the daughter of a Protestant Pastor, she embraced the Catholic faith in 1850, amidst bitter opposition from the family. God took possession of her heart so powerfully that she courageously and generously responded to the call to religious life. She entered the congregation of the sisters of St. Joseph of the Apparition in 1851, taking the name Sister Veronica of the Passion. She came to India in 1862 and worked in Calicut. When in prayer, she experienced a divine call to enter Carmel. She made the difficult choice of leaving her congregation of St. Joseph’s to join Carmel, a Congregation of cloistered sisters at Pau in France. Again it was terribly difficult for her to leave the peace and happiness of the cloister to set about the task of founding a new Carmelite order for India, to serve the need of faith formation through the education of young girls of the West Coast of India.
The need for the third order was very urgent because in those days Education in India was meant only for boys which brought great dissatisfaction to the Indian women, who cried out for knowledge and the light of education. So God in His infinite wisdom chose Mother Veronica to realize this objective together with Father Marie Ephrem, a Carmelite who had come as a missionary to serve the Indians. She founded the Congregation of the Apostolic Carmel at Bayonne in France in the year 1868 and established it in Mangalore, India in 1870. Following the path of Carmelite tradition of St. Teresa of Avila and Mother Veronica, the Sisters of the Apostolic Carmel try to combine in their lives contemplative prayer to serve the needs of the times. The focus of their apostolic service is Christ in His people, the Church and the world.
The pioneering spirit made itself felt from time to time in the Congregation. When there was a need for higher education for women in South Kanara, it was the Apostolic Carmel that started the first Women’s College (St. Agnes College) in this region in 1921. The Apostolic Carmel extended its mission to North India in 1921 and to Sri Lanka in 1922. From its inception to this day the congregation tries to fulfill the purpose of its existence through formal and non-formal education of youth in its various colleges, regular schools, schools for the handicapped, women’s welfare centers, prison and healing ministry etc. The Apostolic Carmel is established throughout India, Sri Lanka, Kuwait, Pakistan, Kenya, Bahrain, Rome and Tanzania. It aims at developing the students entrusted to its care, into committed people who should be leaven in their milieu putting love and meaning into human life and endeavor.