Website : http://www.fmakolkata.org/l/houses/house-of-auxilium-kalyani-1980.html
Address : Arvedipur, Anandanagar PO, Kalyani – Nadia dt., West Bengal 741245
Contact : 033 – 2590 1144
Who we are
We FMA, with Mary, transformed by the Word of God, living our consecrated life passionately like DB and MM broadening our horizons become missionaries of hope and joy with the young and for the young especially those in the periphery.
What we do
The FMA Calcutta reaches out to thousands of boys and girls, children and women in the Auxilium convent Schools and other promotional centres spread over the states of West Bengal, New Delhi, UttarPradesh, Jharkhand, Chattisgarh, Sikkim, and the neighbouring country of Nepal. Our educative and promotive mission invites children young girls and women to lead lives of dignity and honor through various humanitarian services, such as:
• After-school care and various free-time activities
• Centres for the advancement of women
• Health education and nutrition
• Literacy courses
• Parish ministry and catechesis
• Promotional centres
• Schools of every kind and level
• Shelters for young girls and women at risk
• Student hostels
• Summer camps and programs
• Youth ministry
The latest in the social ministry records a unique program for the non schooling and marginalized children of the neighborhood to ensure the Right to Education for all children of locality with the scope to reach them to the zenith of dignity of human life.
Today the Salesian Sisters serve the young in 134 countries
• 3150 schools
• 1890 Orphanages, street children & other such programs
• 650 professional, Industrial Trades & agricultural schools
• 220 Hospitals & clinics
• 860 Nursery and Day Care Centers
And the story goes on...
• Parish apostolate
• Primary School for the boys and girls (Bengali & English)
• Self Help Group
Following the footsteps of Don Bosco and Mother Mazzarello and led by our Blessed Mother the Help of Christians, our first sisters who dared to plant the Salesian charism in Kalyani and contributed to keeping the charism alive in the Church and in society and radiated it to its vicinity were none other than Sr Gemma Liberalesso, Sr Superior, Sr Dorothy Vogt, in charge of the Dispensary, Sr Domenica Diengdoh - Headmistress, and Sr Philomena Minj, in charge of the Parish Work, Family Visiting, and village work.
The presence of the Daughters of Mary Help was desired by Mons. Matteo Baroi sdb, the Bishop of Krishnagar, who made special request to Mother Ersilia Canta, the then Mother General, during one of his visits to Rome. The request of the Bishop was granted and Mother Ersilia contacted Mother Virginia Marchetti the then Provincial, through Mons. Baroi asking her to begin a new presence at Kalyani. Heeding to the request of Mother General, the Provincial prepared four sisters for the new mission at Kalyani and were sent to Bandel.
The Bishop of Krishnagar donated to the F.M.As 6 acres of land at Arvedipur (Raghunathpur), Kalyani to be utilized for apostolic activities.
From August 11, 1980, the four chosen sisters staying in the community of Bandel journeyed to and fro to Kestopur village, Kalyani where they were offered a part of the village church run by the Salesians as their temporary residence. They needed to make a lot of adjustments and repair works and undergo many sacrifices and deprivations before they could take possession of the new residence.
They divided the entire asbestos hut into three parts: the chapel, the workroom and the dispensary. The sisters visited the families, carried out the parish apostolate and run the dispensary. The renewed hut was blessed and inaugurated during a concelebrated Mass by Mons. Baroi sdb on 24 September 1980. The first community consisted of: Sr Gemma Liberalesso, Sr. Superior, Sr. Dorothy Vogt, in charge of the Dispensary, Sr. Domenica Diengdoh- Headmistress, and Sr. Philomena Minj In charge of the Parish Work, Family Visiting, and village work.